Authoring/Development - Tools of the Trade: WordPress
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a well-built personal Web publishing system that can be used on any level hosting account at pair Networks. We've been hosting WordPress Web sites for years, so be confident that hosting your WordPress Web site at pair Networks is the right choice.
Here are just a few of the awesome features of WordPress:
- Get a blog started in minutes
- Over 100 different themes
- Integrated stats system
- It's a great writing tool
- Tags are automatically added to the global tag system
- Built in technology to block spammers from commenting
- We support it, so ask away! We are happy to help
- Easily import content from another blog software
- Availble in over 50 languages
- Run as many blogs as you want, with multiple authors
- Easily add "widgets" to your side bar
- It's not just a blog, use WordPress to build your Web site too!
And best of all, install WordPress using pairSIM our Software Installation Manager, and we'll handle everything for you from the installation to version upgrades. So, you worry about the content, we'll worry about the back-end. Learn more about pairSIM here.
Installing WordPress Using the Account Control Center
WordPress can be installed easily using the pairSIM Software Installation Manager in the ACC. To do so, you must first turn on the pairSIM by following the steps below:
- Login to the ACC (https://my.pair.com/).
- Click on Enable Software Installation Manager under Add Services.
- Click on the Enable Software Installation Manager button.
Note, access to the Software Installation Manager costs $2.95/month.
Once you have turned on the Software Installation Manager, you can install WordPress within the Software Installation Manager by following these instructions:
- Click on WordPress under Software Available for Installation.
- Enter the requested information.
- Click on the Install WordPress button.
Installing WordPress ManuallyFirst you will need to connect to your server via Telnet/SSH and will need to log into the Account Control Center (ACC).
Next, follow these steps to install WordPress:
- Enter the directory of the domain name with which you would like to use WordPress (use the "cd" command).
- Copy the WordPress file using this command if your account was created prior to June 1, 2011:
cp /usr/local/pair/wordpress/wordpress.tar.gz ./
Run this command if your account was created after June 1, 2011:
cp /usr/local/pair/packages/wordpress-3.3.1-1.0.tar.gz ./
- Untar the WordPress file in a Telnet/SSH using the command:
This step creates a "wordpress" directory for you.
- Create a database for WordPress via the Account Control Center (https://my.pair.com -- in the Advanced Features section)
- Enter the "wordpress" directory
- Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php (mv wp-config-sample.php wp-config.php)
- Edit wp-config.php using a text editor. You must edit the following values:
In the first line, replace "wordpress" with your WordPress database name.
In the second line, replace "username" with your WordPress full-access database username.
In the third line, replace "password" with your WordPress full-access database password.
In the fourth line, replace "localhost" with your database server name.
- Run the WordPress installation script in a Web browser. Enter this install script in a Web browser:
Please replace "example.com" with the domain name you are using for your WordPress blog. If you've installed WordPress in a subdirectory of your domain name, then you'lll need to modify this install script to look similar to the following:
- Follow the installation instructions in your Web browser
For information on how to use the WordPress Web publishing application, visit the page below:
For more information on using Telnet/SSH to connect to your Web server, please visit our Knowledge Base support page:
For more information on using MySQL Databases, please visit our Knowledge Base support page: