Authoring/Development - Tools of the Trade: Joomla!
What is Joomla!?
Joomla! is a content management system (CMS) that allows you to build Web sites and online applications. You will need a database and PHP to be able to use Joomla!
Installing Joomla! Using the Account Control Center
Joomla! can be installed easily using the Software Installation Manager in the ACC. To do so, you must first turn on the Software Instatallation Manager by following the steps below:
- Login to the ACC (https://my.pair.com/).
- Click on Enable Software Installation Manager under Add Services.
- Click on the Enable Software Installation Manager button.
Note, access to the Software Installation Manager costs $2.95/month.
Once you have turned on the Software Installation Manager, you can install Joomla! within the Software Installation Manager by following these instructions:
- Click on Joomla! under Software Available for Installation.
- Enter the requested information.
- Click on the Install Joomla button.
Installing Joomla! ManuallyFirst you must create a database via the Account Control Center (https://my.pair.com).
Next, follow the steps below to install Joomla!
- Log into your server using SSH (in a terminal window)
- Enter the directory where you want to install Joomla! using a command such as:
- Unzip the Joomla! distribution by running this command if your account was created prior to June 1, 2011:
tar -xvzf /usr/local/pair/joomla/joomla.tgz
Run this command if your account was created after June 1, 2011:
tar -xvzf /usr/local/pair/packages/joomla-2.5.4.tar.gz
- Enter the newly created "joomla" directly using this command:
- Load the installer via the Web at the URL where you placed the files such as: http://SERVER.pair.com/USERNAME/joomla/
- Complete the installation steps
- Delete the installation directory and secure your installation with these two commands:
rm -rf installation
chmod 705 joomla/configuration.php
For optimal performance, you must activate caching by following these instructions:
- Log into the Joomla! administrative interface (http://example.com/yourjoomladir/administrator) with the username and password you created in the installation. Replace "example.com" with your domain name and "yourjoomladir" with the name you gave your Joomla directory
- Click "Global Configuration"
- Click "System" (a sub-tab)
- Select "Yes" (under "Cache Settings")
- Pick a cache time (default is 15 minutes)
- Click "Save" (icon in the upper right)
For more information on how to use Joomla!, visit: